This recipe appeared in MasterChef UK’s Season 9 and was created by Rukmini Iyer.
Carbonara with Blue Cheese, Broccoli & Hazelnuts
- 1 Baking Tray
- 1 Chef's Knife
- 1 Sieve
- 1 Measuring Jug
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Large Pot
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 3.5 oz Hazelnuts
- 14 oz Penne (or other pasta of choice)
- 7 oz Tenderstem Broccoli (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Medium Eggs (Whisked)
- 3.5 oz Blue Cheese (Crumbled)
- 3.5 oz Rocket (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Lemon (Juice Only)
- Olive Oile Extra Virgin
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan/180C.
- Tip the hazelnuts onto a baking tray, then transfer to the oven to toast for 7-10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop into large pieces.
- Meanwhile, bring large pan of salted water to the boil, and add the pasta. Cook according to the packet instructions, adding the broccoli a minute before the pasta is ready. Drain well, reserving 100ml of the cooking water, then return to the pan and stir through a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk the eggs with the crumbled blue cheese and season well with freshly ground black pepper. Add the blue cheese sauce to the pasta, and stir vigorously to coat. Add the reserved cooking water a tablespoon at a time until the sauce clings to the pasta, then stir through the rocket, ¾ of the chopped hazelnuts, lemon juice, honey and a little more extra virgin olive oil.
- Taste, and adjust the salt, lemon juice and honey as needed. Serve immediately, topped with the remaining chopped hazelnuts.